Thursday, 7 July 2011

Elluminate Session: Apps in Action for Reluctant Readers

Let me first start out by saying, WOW! I can't believe how many apps there are to assist children who have difficulty decoding text, have visual impairments or who are reluctant writers, just to name a few. As each app was explained I could think of a student in my class or one who attends resource/learning centre that would benefit from this technology.
This past year we conducted literature circles and one of the books we used was The Giver. I had my higher level readers reading this book, but I think back and reflect on other students who could have had this app on an Ipod and had the book read to them. The issue then comes with having the technology available.
(I want to contact our PTA this summer and put in requests for funding to purchase Ipods/Ipads for next year already)
The apps presented in the webinar that caught my interest were those that provided interactive options (ex. Nancy Drew, Food Fight) for the reader. I find that students who are reluctant with their reading, not only need the confidence but something to engage them and catch their eye. I especially like the app "Image to Text". This would open many doors for students on a day to day basis. The class I had last year could have used this adaptation to assist in achieving many outcomes.
Thank you Barb for all your work and sharing your findings!

1 comment:

  1. YOur team is working hard Christine...can't wait to see your project

    ReplyDelete