Sunday, 17 July 2011

IPod/App Exploration and other Reflections

I am getting very close to buying one of these IPods. They can do almost anything.
I spent some time at the baseball field this weekend (as I usually do in the summer) and my husband (who is a coach) and I were talking about the pitcher and how fast he was throwing the ball. I got to thinking about whether the IPod had a speedometer app to measure the speed of pitches? I did some googling yesterday and I found a great app that I shared with my husband. It is called "Baseball Coach Plus". It allows you to record videos, then compare techniques followed by a before and after clip which enables improvement. It can also measure pitch speed among many other uses. He thought it was great and also thought the kids would think it was neat if he was using an IPod to assist in coaching:)
I also did some researching on writing apps where our group is focusing on the writing task analysis for our project. I first found a website that offered creative writing prompts to download as slides to view on slideshare. The website is http://www.edgalaxy.com/. This may not have too much benefit with our project but I can see great use within my classroom to encourage student's creativity. I also found an app that would benefit our student with ASD. It is called "AbcPocketPhonics" and would assist with letter sounds, letter writing and the spelling of basic words. This student could assist in our Poster/Collage making to promote the topic of Plastics.
The following website gave a number of examples of apps I will be sharing with my group. It contains apps for organization, communication, writing and many others.
 http://www.spectronicsinoz.com/article/iphoneipad-apps-for-aac

One final reflection for today was from an episode of Dragon's Den I watched this afternoon. Two young men designed a mouse for a computer that you could fit on your hand. I thought this could benefit some students, who were not able to manipulate a mouse, to use for various programs or software. I would like to see if there is more information on this product. See the picture below to view the "AirMouse". 

No comments:

Post a Comment